Optometry is a health care professional, which deals with primary eye care through comprehensive examination, diagnosis, and treatment to detect various eye diseases and disorders of the vital system. It is a vision care science, which involves effective procedures and treatments for the patients to improve vision. BSc Optometry is a course designed for the students who are seeking to pursue their career in the field of optometry.
An Overview of Optometry Courses
There are numerous courses and specialisation available in the field of optometry. The courses involve are:
- Diploma in Optometry
- Bachelor of Science in Optometry
- Master of Science in Optometry
- Certified Optometry Program
Outline of B.Sc Optometry Course
- To practice the area of optometry, one has to complete minimum bachelor’s program in optometry offered by reputed colleges affiliated to recognized education body in India.
- The Optometry Course is designed for the students to understand theoretical and practical basis about all the aspects of primary eye care vision.
- The course aims to prepare a primary health care professional – an “Optometrist.”
- Optometrist professionals involve in estimating refractive errors of the eyes by testing and diagnosis of any abnormalities and disorders.
- To detect any pathological conditions of the vision deviated from normal.
- Optometrists are experts in the field of Counseling of patients, designing, prescribing and fitting of Spectacles, Contact Lenses, Sunglasses, Ophthalmic Lenses and other optical aids.
- Examine and diagnosis of ocular, related systemic and neurological diseases are referred to other medical professionals for conducting detailed medical examinations and surgical procedure (if required).
- Optometry courses do not train its candidates to conduct surgery.
- The internship program is to provide the project and finished in the selected field of study.
Duration of the BSc Optometry Course
- The BSc Optometry Course duration is designed for 3+1 years, which includes 3 years of graduation course and 1 year of internship.
- Some of the institutions offer 4 years of the BSc Optometry Course, which includes 1 year of an internship program.
- A BSc Optometry graduate can further pursue for 2 years of the postgraduate program in optometry.
- The basic eligibility criteria for the candidate to enroll in the BSc Optometry graduate course is 10+2 or equivalent in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English (PCB) with 50% from recognized board or university.
- Most of the reputed colleges and institutes conduct entrance examination in all India level.
- Selection of the candidate is based on the merit of the marks secured in 10+2 and entrance examination.
- Should have completed the age of 17 years as on 31st December of the year of admission.
Some institutions also offer a lateral entry for the candidates who have completed their diploma program and are seeking for the BSc Optometry Course.
- Candidate should have completed Diploma in Optometry can apply for a lateral entry directly to the second year of BSc Optometry course.
Top BSc Optometry Colleges in Karnataka
- Abhaya College of Optometry, Bangalore
- A J Institute Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre, Mangalore
- Manipal School of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal
- Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore